We always carry our phones everywhere with us: morning commute, dinner table, at work, even in the bathroom. Your mobile phone is 10 times dirtier than a toilet seat. So don’t expect your phone case to be any cleaner. With the new coronavirus spreading, it's better to take precautions than to be exposed to sorts of bacterial and dirt.
And in this article, we give you the 4 best ways you can use to clean your own phone case!
- Clean with Water and Dish Soap
One of the most common methods to clean phone cases and remove its yellowish stains and coloration is to use nothing but water and dish soap.
- Mix 1 cup of warm water with just a couple of drops of dish soap.
- Soak a flat, microfiber cloth with the mixture.
- Squeeze out the cloth so that it is not too wet.
- Use it to clean your phone case! (While it's detached from the phone, of course)
Generally, this combination is best for removing newer, fresher stains. But if the coloration is more persistent, soak the phone case in a solution of hot water with dish soap for at least 2 hours. Then scrub with an old toothbrush, rinse and you're done!
- Disinfect with Rubbing Alcohol
All you need for this method is Isopropyl Alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol, and a microfiber or 100% cotton cleaning cloth.
- Just apply the alcohol to the cloth and thoroughly wipe the interior and exterior parts of your phone case.
- After you're done, use a dry microfiber cloth to remove the moisture from your phone case before using it again.
- Scrub with Baking Soda & Water Paste
A great method to remove yellow stains, dirt and even microorganisms from the phone case is to use a mixture of sodium bicarbonate (also known as baking soda) with water.
- In a container, place 1 tablespoon full of baking soda, then gradually add the water and stir until it forms a consistent paste.
- Then, apply the mixture all over the cover and wait for about 2 hours
- And finally, use an old toothbrush to scrub and then rinse.
Extra tip: If the coloration is deeply entrenched into the phone case and is hard to remove, you might want to soak it in a solution of water and baking soda for roughly 12 hours. Though you might want to prefer cloth-only methods for leather cases.
- Diluted Bleach
A popular disinfectant, bleach is also great as a product for cleaning phone cases.
- Dilute the bleach in water, immerse the phone case in it for a few hours.
- Then remove it, rinse it, and dry it with a dry cloth.
That's it. Easy and simple.
Warning: do not use bleach in colored phone cases, as it can and will fade the color of your accessory.
- But... Why Do Phone Cases Turn Yellow?
Currently, phone cases are mostly made of a material called TPU which is a mixture of aerospace plastic and silicone sealant, which is great for making the cases resistant to impacts, as well as being comfortable to the touch.
Whenever a phone's battery is low and needs to be charged up, it is common to charge it up with its phone case on.
And when the device heats up from charging it up or from using it, a chemical reaction occurs that makes the TPU start to yellow out. This heating does not actually melt the case but it does make it uglier.
And that's why paying attention to your phone case's materials is so important.
You want high-quality cases that are specifically-made with anti-yellowing properties, such as high-quality TPU.
And Syncwire's phone cases are recommended exactly for that.
They have a variety of clear phone cases for different iPhone models, and every single one of them was made with anti-yellowing properties in mind to give your phone cases a better lifetime!
- Sometimes, Cleaning is Not Enough
Regular cleaning of the phone case is useful for maintaining hygiene and looking good. However, in some situations, the case may simply have reached the end of its life. Maybe it's been used for too long and is no longer protecting your phone, or maybe the dirt and yellow coloration are both so impregnated within it, that simple cleaning is no longer feasible.
When you feel that it is no longer worth cleaning it, or if it is getting too much work, it is always worth considering purchasing a new one, especially if it's one that can remove the headache of having to worry about constantly cleaning your phone case.